Life is always happening. There is work, your kids, and your friends along with so many daily responsibilities. How do you stay motivated on your health and fitness goals in the midst of it all? How do you keep going day after day with the right frame of mind and keep yourself on track with a healthy lifestyle?
It is not always easy to take the time to do that workout or to prepare the healthy meal instead of grabbing fast food. The better choice is not always the easiest or most convenient choice but it all comes down to how important it is to you. At the end of a hard day at work or dealing with cranky kids you might feel like pizza is the best thing for everyone. I promise you though the minute you polish off your last piece you are gonna be filled with regret. You are going to remember that workout you did yesterday and how hard it was; and the pride you felt when you passed on the cake at work. You are going to feel shame and anger at yourself for not making the right choice. Now don’t get me wrong it is not that you can never have pizza again, but when you didn’t plan for that pizza, that is when it is regretful.
Here are 5 things that help me stay motivated:
- Surround yourself with people who share your goals. It is so much easier to do something when the people who you spend time with are also on that same path. That is why Weight Watchers has worked so well for me. The weekly meetings and social media aspects of the group keep me focused on my goals. I know that there are other people who are in the same boat with me and facing the same challenges. We can talk about our struggles and brainstorm on ways to overcome them.
- Get your family on board with you. Let them know how important this new healthy lifestyle is to you. You want to be healthier so you can be around longer for them. Sometimes you have to sit down and let them know that this is serious and you need their support.
- Get a Fitbit! One of the biggest motivators for me to keep moving and get my exercise in everyday is having a Fitbit. It rewards me for my efforts with a little celebration when I hit my 10,000 steps for the day. Another great thing is that you can be in challenges with your friends that also have Fitbit. This really pushes you to hit your goal everyday and try to out step the other people in the challenge. It is a lot of fun and you are helping each other by doing the challenges together. I would hate it if I don’t hit my goal for the day and everybody knows it, so it really does motivate me to get it done.
- Pinterest. Yes I love Pinterest! I follow a lot of boards with health and fitness tips, recipes and motivational quotes. I really find the motivational quotes helpful. I have them rotate as the background wallpaper on my work computer. I have a motivational quote on my lock screen of my phone, and tons saved on my boards on Pinterest. Some of my favorites are “You get what you focus on, so focus on what you want“; “Being healthy is not a size, it’s a lifestyle” and “The difference between want and need is self control“. You can find the ones that speak to you and put them somewhere you will see it everyday.
- Tell someone! Tell one person what your workout schedule and meal plan are for the week then have that one person check in on you to see if you did it. This week when I had planned to get up and go on an early run before work I posted it on Facebook so that everybody would know that I was going to run. I even said it was for accountability, so this way if anyone asked I would have to tell them if I did what I said I would do. It really made a difference when my alarm went off at 4:30 a.m. and I wanted to hit snooze, I remembered that Facebook post and hopped right out of bed. People did ask me and thankfully I was able to say yes I did.
I hope these tips will help you to stay motivated. What do you do for motivation? Please comment below and share your motivational tips. If you liked this post please share it with the social media buttons below.