When you are adjusting to a healthy lifestyle eating out can feel like a daunting prospect. I am here to tell you that it doesn’t have to be that scary. You can still eat out and enjoy a delicious meal with your friends and family. Firstly you have to prepare yourself mentally for the challenge. Your choice to maintain a healthy diet was not a one time decision. It is a decision that you have to make at every single meal, snack and even drink. It is all day, everyday, making the decision to chose the healthy options over and over again.
When you go out to eat you are likely going to be faced with a menu full of unhealthy options. It is also likely that your fellow diners will pick some of those unhealthy options. Here are some tips to help keep you on track:
- Look up the menu before you go to the restaurant and decide your order before you get there. Anytime you can have a plan of attack you are going to be more likely to stick to your healthy choices.
- Eat a small snack before you go! Do not go when you are starving. If you are super hungry it will be harder to make a good choice when you are faced with all the tempting smells of the restaurant and delicious looking pictures on the menu.
- Order first. Do not wait to see what everyone else is ordering. Hearing your friend order buffalo wings is going to tempt you to go the same route. You are stronger than that, but just to be safe, order first.
- Order a water and drink a whole glass before your meal comes. This will fill you up enough to keep you from overeating.
- If there is an option of a large or small plate order the small. When eating out the serving size is typically enough to feed 3 people, so always take the smaller option.
- Having a salad? Order the dressing on the side and dip your fork in the dressing before each bite instead of pouring it on. Salads are a great option at a restaurant but the dressing is not usually so healthy. Keeping it on the side and dipping your salad instead will keep you from overindulging. You will be surprised how much dressing you have left.
- Ask for a to go box when your food comes. As I mentioned before the sizes at the restaurant are huge, so how do you keep yourself from overeating? By getting the to go box at the beginning of the meal you can put half of the food in the box right away. You will eat a healthier portion size and you have dinner for tomorrow too!
- Split the meal. Again the portion sizes definitely allow for two people to eat one plate.
- Having wine? Set a limit for yourself before you even get in the restaurant and tell your fellow diner your plan. It doesn’t hurt to get a little help from your friends. You will be less tempted to go back on your plan if they are in on it.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for what you want. I know that you don’t want to be that person asking for substitutions and additions to your order, but you need to do what is best for you. Ask them to not bring out the bread, not to butter your vegetables, and make that substitution of veggies instead of potato. When you tell them you are trying to be healthy they are going to be more than happy to accommodate you and your friends and family will admire your perseverance.
I hope this empowered you to be more confident when you are eating out! Please leave a comment below to let me know how you are going to make time for yourself and workout. Go to my home page now and click on the link to subscribe to my blog so you never miss a post! If you like my posts share this post with your friends on social media with the buttons below.